[fr] Parfois, on fait les choses même quand on n'en a pas vraiment envie.
“Just do it” is the answer many of us poor procrastinators get when asking for support from our non-procrastinating friends. And usually, it doesn’t help.
However, I’ve learned that there are situations where “just do it” is the answer. Years ago, I realized that I had become trapped in an excessive “what do I feel like doing” state of mind. I would wait until I felt like doing something to do it. I thought that I needed to feel like doing things to do them, and expected that at some point I would always feel like doing the things I had to do.
Probably too many childhood and teenage years what I wanted and what I felt like were not given enough place in my life, but let’s not dwell on that.
The important realization was when I understood that sometimes you don’t feel like doing things, and you still do them. You don’t feel like doing the washing-up, but you do it because you’ve decided that you wanted to live with a reasonably clean kitchen and clean dishes for your next meal. You don’t really feel like eating anything in particular, or maybe chocolate, but you make a salad, cut some bread, and put a piece of meat in the pan because you’ve decided it was important to have a balanced diet, even when you didn’t really feel like it.
And sometimes you work, or study, because you have an end goal in mind, or need to earn a living, even if you don’t always feel like it.
This is not to say you should ignore your feelings. But sometimes, for some people, listening to them too much can get in the way of living.
- E-mail and Dirty Dishes [en] (2009)
- There is Work and Work [en] (2009)
- Keeping The Flat Clean: Living Space As User Interface [en] (2003)
- My Journey Out of Procrastination: Not Running (Firewalls and iPhone Alarms) [en] (2010)
- My Journey Out of Procrastination: Five Principles [en] (2009)
- Never Mind, It’s Not Important [en] (2015)
- The Wisdom of Small Changes: Incrementally Reclaiming My
Flat [en] (2009)
- Dar Williams [en] (2005)
- A Patchwork Post From The Chalet [en] (2015)
- Routine and Freedom [en] (2016)