[fr] Le plugin WordPress Basic Bilingual que j'utilise depuis un nombre incalculable d'années pour fournir des résumés "dans l'autre langue" à mes articles a enfin été mis à jour. Grâce à Claude Vedovini, il passe à la version 1.0, que je vous conseille d'essayer tout de suite!
A huge huge thanks to Claude Vedovini who spent the last few days working on my really old plugin (but still used daily!) Basic Bilingual in order to release version 1.0. Download it now!
The plugin has been around since early 2005, and honestly, what it does hasn’t really changed: it allows you to specify a summary of your post in another language and label it as such, as you can see here on Climb to the Stars. If you want more complex handling of languages in WordPress, head over to WPML, the likes of which weren’t around when I first threw a few functions together to try and make my bilingual blogging life easier.
So, what’s new?
- unlike me, Claude actually knows how to write code, so instead of being some horribly outdated collection of clumsy functions, the plugin’s code is now upto 2013 standards (hadn’t seen an update in 4 years, can you imagine?)
- it’s now possible to have more than two languages in your blog, with two “different language” excerpts accompanying your main post
- you can now choose the markup for your excerpts without having to wade through plugin code: there is a lovely settings page for that and other things you can configure
- the language widget in the page editing screen is a drop-down now, and not an ugly text field where you need to type your language’s code
- you can also filter excerpts based on your readers’ browser settings
- …and the plugin has been tested with the latest version of WordPress! (not that it broke too much before…)
So thanks so much Claude, it feels good to have Basic Bilingual off life support and alive again!
If you use Basic Bilingual I’d really love if you could take a few minutes to write a review over on wordpress.org. Thanks! Oh, and if you have a crazy plugin idea that needs bringing to life, ping Claude about it 😉
- Basic Bilingual [en] (2009)
- Basic Bilingual 0.4 [en] (2009)
- Basic Bilingual Plugin [en] (2005)
- Call to WordPress Plugin Developers [en] (2005)
- Plans for Basic Bilingual [en] (2010)
- Bunny's Language Linker: New WordPress Plugin [en] (2007)
- Requirements for a Multilingual WordPress Plugin [en] (2006)
- Basic Bilingual and Bunny's Technorati Tags Plugins Updated for WordPress 2.1 [en] (2007)
- Two Plugin Updates: Basic Bilingual 0.32 and Language Linker 0.2 [en] (2008)
- Nasty Problem With Basic Bilingual Plugin [en] (2007)