[fr] Ma recette de poha, que je croyais avoir publiée!
For years, people have been asking me for Nisha’s Poha recipe. Here it is — well, my variation of it, because I seem to do it slightly differently (at least the result tastes different).
- heat oil in pan or karahi
- half a teaspoon of black mustard seeds and half a teaspoon of cumin seeds (more if you like more, or are cooking big quantities)
- when the seeds are popping, add curry leaves (anywhere from a dozen leaves to more if you like more)
- let them sizzle a little, lower the heat
- add a chopped onion (red if you have that) and green chilli broken in pieces (one chilli, two, three… depends how hot your chillies are and how hot you like your poha)
- let the onion soften; wash the poha (don’t let it soak, just rinse and drain) — I use roughly two big handfuls for one big serving
- add a teaspoon of salt (or less), a teaspoon of sugar, a tip of turmeric (upto half a teaspoon, but don’t overdo it), red peanuts and/or frozen green peas/sweet corn
- mix it all up and leave on low heat 3-5 minutes (for the peanuts mainly)
- add poha, mix well, turn heat off
- add chopped coriander leaves
- serve and sprinkle with lemon/lime juice
- Indian Scrambled Eggs Improvisation (Potato, Tomato) [en] (2010)
- Breakfast of the Day: Nisha’s Upma [en] (2010)
- Lunchtime: Nisha’s Sweet Aloo [en] (2010)
- Nisha's Toor and Mung Daal [en] (2011)
- Aleika’s Recipe for Masoor Daal [en] (2003)
- Chick Pea Salad [en] (2001)
- Nisha's Prawn Bhaji [en] (2011)
- Nisha's Fried Kingfish and Red Fish Curry [en] (2011)
- Isa and Sam's Birthday Salad [en] (2008)
- Nisha’s Famous Sweet Sheera [en] (2011)
3 thoughts on “Poha Recipe [en]”
OK, what’s poha? I’ll make it, because that looks delicious, but I don’t know what it is or where to get it, and allrecipes.com and m-w.com have no details.
This is awesome!
As an Indian and a Maharashtrian, I’m astounded to see this here.
I have a lot of childhood memories associated with this.
Stephanie, I will probably be attending your lecture at HEC EMBA soon.