[fr] Un bon truc quand on n'avance pas dans son travail: trouver quelqu'un (souvent en ligne) avec qui travailler en tandem. "Bon, alors moi, je vais écrire cet e-mail pendant que toi tu lis ce rapport, et on se retrouve dans 30 minutes pour se donner des nouvelles." Un moyen de s'encourager et de se soutenir mutuellement -- souvent, en aidant l'autre à déterminer quelle est sa prochaine tâche, à charge de revanche.
More than once, buddy working has saved my day. I think Suw came up with the term and the idea — though I’m sure there are many other people using this kind of technique. Suw’s the person I’ve done it most with, but not the only one. I’ve done it with Delphine a couple of times, and with a few other people.
How does it work? Basically, take two people who are faffing away or procrastinating through the day. Put them in touch through IM. Each helps/supports the other in figuring out a task to accomplish (15-30 minutes). Both go off and do their task, and come back into the chat to report on progress!
One of the first times I remember doing this was not for work, actually, but for something like washing the dishes. It’s a simple trick, and it works offline too. It gives you a little nudge to do things and is encouraging when you have somebody to share it with.
Do you do this? Do you have similar tricks to share? I’d love to hear about it!
- Taming the Dirty Dishes [en] (2002)
- Taming the Dishes, 2021 Version [en] (2021)
- Structured vs. Freeform Work [en] (2011)
- Dealing With Procrastination [en] (2007)
- Sometimes, I'm Awkward Around People [en] (2009)
- Learning to Have an Office [en] (2008)
- Tips For the Stressed and Anxious [en] (2010)
- Writing: Desired Distraction [en] (2009)
- E-mail and Dirty Dishes [en] (2009)
- What Goes On My To-Do List? [en] (2022)
8 thoughts on “Let's Buddy Work! [en]”
Sounds like a great idea.. Might have to give it a go one day..
Now to find a few ‘buddy’s’ to partner up with..