[fr] Le yucca de l'eclau n'est pas heureux.
There is a very unhappy Yucca at eclau. Here he is:
As you can see, his lower leaves are drying out in huge quantities. By the time I remembered to take a photo, I had already cleared about half out:
You can see which way they’re drying out, and the speckles on the dry leaves:
Even the new leaves are not happy:
It might be overwatering (I’ve hung a “don’t water” sign on him now) but I suspect something more problematic like lack of light. It doesn’t get any direct sunshine where it is, and eclau sometimes stays closed (blinds down) all week-end. Not great for a yucca.
I don’t see a solution to this because this guy is huge. There is nowhere else he will fit. The yucca was brought to eclau ages ago by one of the coworkers and was left there when he departed. I’ve always had a bit of trouble fitting him somewhere, not to mention that he first came with hordes of little black “rot flies” (dunno how to call them in English).
So, I suspect it’ll come down to this:
- make sure it’s not an illness (anybody?)
- chop chop chop him down, cut the arms off
- repot the stump and put it somewhere happier
- repot the tops (I’ve read you just stick them in soil and they’ll root) for three smaller yuccas which can go live in happier places
Ideas and advice welcome, specially if you know what’s going on here.
- Plant News [en] (2011)
- Podcasts I’m Listening To [en] (2015)
- Ça bouge du côté de l'eclau [en] (2010)
- A Trip to Walgreens [en] (2008)
- Plantgasm: I Love Plants Too! [en] (2011)
- On Grief and Losing Bagha [en] (2010)
- I Need to Blog More [en] (2008)
- Some Advice on Being Your Own Boss (My SWITCH Conference Talk) [en] (2010)
- Busy Week [en] (2009)
- I Can’t Think of a Title [en] (2019)