[fr] Plus que de savoir quels parfaits inconnus sont à l'endroit où je suis, je voudrais savoir quelles personnes avec lesquelles j'ai des liens faibles ("weak ties") sont dans le coin. Quelqu'un qui a commenté sur mon blog, par exemple, ou qui a participé à la même conférence que moi.
Kevin Marks says [we need a Weasley’s clock](http://epeus.blogspot.com/2006/09/geolocation-and-privacy.html) rather than a Marauder’s map. I generally agree with this. Most of the times, I’m more interested in knowing where (and when) the people I know (or the people I have weak ties with) are, than in knowing which complete strangers are where I am (or in letting complete strangers know who I am).
Unfortunately, in most systems, it’s too much work to get people on your “buddy list”. [Stowe](http://stoweboyd.com/message/)’s [talk at SHiFT](http://strange.corante.com/archives/2006/09/29/shift_stowe_boyd_we_make_our_tools_and_they_shape_us.php) encouraged me to take a second look at [my Plazes account](http://beta.plazes.com/user/StephanieBooth), which I had more or less given up on using because it systematically placed me at the other end of the country when I logged on.
I might be very interested in knowing I’m geographically close to somebody who commented on my blog, or on whose blog I commented. Or somebody who was at SHiFT but that I didn’t actually get a chance to talk to. What if a system like [Plazes](http://plazes.com) was capable of doing that?
I finally understood at SHiFT what weak ties were, and I think this idea has all to do with them.
- FriendFeed's Missing Feature [en] (2009)
- Ongoing: SHiFT [en] (2006)
- Short Post-SHiFT Note [en] (2006)
- Laurent Haug Talks About coComment at SHiFT Conference [en] (2006)
- Testing Hosted Blog Solutions [en] (2004)
- Stephanie's October Conference Tour: SHiFT [en] (2008)
- My Twitter Usage Answers [en] (2007)
- FOWA: The Future of Presence (Felix Petersen & Jyri Engeström) [en] (2007)
- My Journey Out of Procrastination: Doing Things Now [en] (2010)
- Back to Blogging Challenge Wrap-Up [en] (2012)