Running notes from the SWITCH conference in Coimbra. Are not perfect. Feel free to add info in the comments, or corrections.
Machinima. Films made in virtual worlds. A new form of art! Real film techniques in virtual worlds.
- choose your virtual world (Second Life, WoW, Sims…” — Hugo likes SL because you can build anything
- choose your screen capture software
- edit in your favorite video editor
3D mouse to control the camera!
3D world as a collaborative platform.
Project: Hugo looks for a team in SL — no budget! In SL, he looks for artists: Japanese, British, Portuguese, Polish…
scenarios: multinational team
actors: SL avatars, animated by real people — so you need to direct them like real actors
real-time filmmaking: several weeks to make the movie (+production).
Different visions, different cultures: a melting-pot of different ideas.
Budget: 50K for a regular project in this area, but they manage with 300 €
*steph-note: Hugo is talking in Portuguese, but I’d like to know why 😉 — now he shows us a video, beautiful.*
Here’s the blog post about my talk (some advice to freelancers) , with link to my Prezi 🙂
Blogging for a dream. E-mail: “do you want to make a trip to Antarctica?”
- are you commited to the environment?
- do you have an urge to photograph penguins?
- do you have a passion for polar regions?
- do you have a blog?
For Luis, yes to all these 🙂 — created a blog and got a team together to take part in the competition.
Joined all social networks to be all over the place.
Tough opponents — hate mail/messages! But Luis and his team were also tough 🙂 — with an automatic dashboard.
4 hours per day for 3 months (*steph-note: when I say social media takes time…*)
Has a pretty cousin, and after accidentally showing her on the webcam following his house, he used popular request for seeing her again to get people to vote 😉
“If I get enough votes, I’ll dress up as a penguin in summertime in Portugal” *steph-note: this guy is great fun!*
*photo of Luis dressed up as a penguin playing the guitar near a big roundabout*
It worked out! (And the comments on what he was doing became a bit more positive…)
And they went to Antarctica 🙂 *steph-note: I like the soundtrack on this slideshow, what is it?*
The question: was it worth it? *steph-note: another video clip. wow.*
Blogging every day, he wasn’t the live-blogger on the team for nothing!
- SWITCH Conference, Coimbra: Out of the Box [en] (2010)
- Personal, Social, and the Shortcuts [en] (2012)
- Kathy Sierra: Keynote (Web2.0Expo, Berlin) [en] (2007)
- Lift10 Online Communities: The Revolution is Most Definitely Mobilized – Mobiles in Democratic Participation. Debunking Hype and Assessing Reality (Katrin Verclas) [en] (2010)
- LIFT08: Pierre Bellanger (Skyrock) [en] (2008)
- Interview with Serbian Magazine [en] (2008)
- SWITCH Conference, Coimbra: José Fontainhas [en] (2010)
- SWITCH Conference, Coimbra: Technology [en] (2010)
- Lift11: Marcel Kampman, Reinventing schools — project Dream School [en] (2011)
- John C. Dvorak and Om Malik: Blogs vs. Journalism [en] (2007)