So, most of you know by now, Tuesday night I mistakenly dropped the database containing my whole blog. No, I didn’t do it on purpose, imagine that — I intended to drop a table, and got confused by the PhpMyAdmin interface and hit the wrong button.
Long story short:
– I have all my data
– the data is in WordPress import format, more or less, so I should be able to restore all the past posts and comments (might lose some of the comments, if there were more than 250 comments made since last October)
– I might have time to do this this week-end, but not before
– I still have problems uploading the big WordPress import file, but need to try fiddling with Apache server settings
If you’re new to this blog and want to have an idea of what it’s about, you can check the Internet Archive, though the last year will be missing from it.
Thanks to everyone for your sympathy, support, and offers of help. As you can imagine it was pretty stressful (specially happening in the evening before Lift09) but I’m much reassured now that I have figured out that I have not, finally, really lost any content. It’s just going to be quite a bit of work to restore it all.
Please learn from my troubles (I’m learning, in any case) and make regular backups of your blogs and databases.
I’m having a wonderful time at Lift09. See you all tomorrow, Lifters!
- Backup Awareness Day: Sometimes Badly is Better Than Not At All [en] (2010)
- Trying the Disqus WordPress Plugin [en] (2008)
- Here's the plan [en] (2009)
- The Four Lost Months Are Back! [en] (2009)
- A Year Ago: Backup Awareness Day [en] (2010)
- Progress in Restoring CTTS [en] (2009)
- I dropped my database [en] (2009)
- LIFT'08 Workshop: Get Started With Blogging [en] (2008)
- Using hAtom [en] (2006)
- Falling in Love With MailChimp [en] (2010)
6 thoughts on “Quick Update on Blogging Disaster [en]”
Just thought about something after we talked today…
Instead of trying to overcome the system limitation concerning file uploads why don’t you just upload your file using FTP and then carve a special php page to import the local file?
I won’t be there this week-end but if you don’t bother waiting til monday I can help with it 🙂
Yeah, that’s another path!
Tu as même une fonction wordpress pour créer des posts en batch…