Here’s a small selection of links related to my work around languages on the internet, particularly multilingualism. If you start with these, you’ll find more links to interviews, videos, and other blog posts around the topic.
I am currently available for speaking and consulting engagements on these issues.
– [All These Languages! Localization and Multilingualism Online](http://www.liftconference.com/all-these-languages-localization-and-multilingualism-online): open discussion at LIFT, please vote for it if you’re going
– [Two Panel Submissions For SXSW Interactive (language Issues)](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/09/19/two-panel-submissions-for-sxsw-interactive-language-issues/): accepted, will be speaking in March 2008 in Austin
– [Waiting for the Babel Fish (Web 2.0 Expo, Berlin)](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/08/09/another-multilingual-talk-proposal-web-20-expo-berlin/): Tuesday 6th November 2007, 10:10am (Web2Open) — [announcement and slides](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/11/05/reminder-speaking-tuesday-at-web2open-berlin/)
– [Languages on the Internet at Google](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/07/10/talk-languages-on-the-internet-at-google-tomorrow/) — [watch the video of this talk](http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5004419583730327409) [July 2007]
– [While We Wait for the Babel Fish (Reboot 9.0, Denmark)](http://www.reboot.dk/artefact-773-en.html)
– [Multilingual Blogging](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/03/25/blogcamp-multilingual-blogging-session/) — [watch the video of this talk](http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2096847420084039011) [March 2007]
– [Blogging in an Imperfectly Multilingual World](http://prezi.com/jcnt2ixeh-ue/blogging-in-an-imperfectly-multilingual-world/) at WordCamp Switzerland 2014 (see the [write-up by Mark Howells](http://mhm.li/2014/05/blogging-in-an-imperfectly-multilingual-world/))
– [English Only: Barrier to Adoption](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/02/24/english-only-barrier-to-adoption/): if your online service isn’t taking off in Europe and it’s available only in English, this might be why
– [Not All Switzerland Speaks German, Dammit!](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/03/04/not-all-switzerland-speaks-german-dammit/): on being a linguistic minority in a multilingual country
– [About the Swiss Blog Awards (SBAW)](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2006/04/30/about-the-swiss-blog-awards-sbaw/): an example of the importance of linguistic barriers online
– [Most People Are Multilingual](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/08/11/most-people-are-multilingual/): contrary to popular belief, most people are not monolingual
– [Languages Geekiness category](http://climbtothestars.org/category/language-geekiness/): a bit of a dump, but it’s all in there
– Two WordPress plugins: [Basic Bilingual](http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/basic-bilingual/) and [Bunny’s Language Linker](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/12/28/bunnys-language-linker-new-wordpress-plugin/)
– [Converting MySQL Database Contents to UTF-8](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2004/07/18/converting-mysql-database-contents-to-utf-8/) (more encoding fun: [episode 2](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2005/02/19/problemes-dencodage-mysql/), [episode 3](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2006/07/12/finally-out-of-mysql-encoding-hell/), [episode 4](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/01/29/invalid-argument-supplied-for-foreach-in-wp-capabilitiesphp-case-cracked/))
– [Browser Language Detection and Redirection](http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/12/28/browser-language-detection-and-redirection/)
– by [Suw Charman](http://chocolateandvodka.com/) for [Conversation Hub](http://conversationhub.com/): [The Multilingual Web](http://conversationhub.com/2007/05/22/the-multilingual-web/) (video)
– by [Nicole Simon](http://crueltobekind.org/) as part of her [reboot9 pre-conference series](http://bloxpert.com/Kickoff-of-the-reboot-9-interview-series-81): [Reboot 9: Stephanie Booth](http://crueltobekind.org/archive/2007-05-24/reboot_9_stephanie_booth) (audio)
- Multilingual Interviews [en] (2007)
- Another Multilingual Talk Proposal (Web 2.0 Expo, Berlin) [en] (2007)
- Most People Are Multilingual [en] (2007)
- Multilingual Proposals (Reboot, BlogCamp) [en] (2007)
- BlogTalk 2008 Proposal — Being Multilingual: Blogging in More Than One Language [en] (2007)
- Interviewed About Multilingualism by Andrea Vascellari [en] (2008)
- Two Panel Submissions for SXSW Interactive (Language Issues) [en] (2007)
- Reminder: Speaking Tuesday at Web2Open, Berlin [en] (2007)
- BlogCamp: Multilingual Blogging Session [en] (2007)
- Basic Bilingual 0.3 for Multilingual Blogging [en] (2007)
17 thoughts on “Multilingual [en]”
Your basic bilingual plugin seems to be perfect for the site I’m building in WordPress 2.8.
Is there a chance your plugin will be useable in the 2.8 version?
I like to make a website in Dutch and English.
Mark — as far as I know, it should work with 2.8. It’s a pretty simple plugin (rough around the edges I’m afraid).
Thanks a lot for your Basic Bilingual Plugin. I’ve written my first post using it today and really like the simplicity of it!
I saw that the rss feed shows first the extract in the other language due to the fact that the other language is shown first. I interverted it so the rss shows the first language body of the post. This could be an option.
for the rest thanks for this plugin
Hi, im gonna start my own blog from scratch.
And I want to blog both in spanish and english, some times ill be writting in one language, some times in the other. Im not looking for a translation plugin, just need a tip how to do this manually in the best way possible for google.
Should i blog like normally, and just get the two languages in the same home page?