[fr] Notes de la conférence Lift11 à Genève.
Live and India-lagged notes from the Lift11 Conference in Geneva. Might contain errors and personal opinions. Use the comments if you spot nasty errors.
Solve the monetization problem in 3 points.
Who is making money online with news? Not that many. The business model for news is advertising.
Second part: classifieds. Business model is the transaction.
Third: services. Easy to be profitable.
Readers are focused on strong established brands in Switzerland. But traffic is stagnant, and hard to draw new audiences. Stuck with office hours.
Problem: revenue is from advertising, not the value of the news per se. There aren’t enough home pages to provide space for the banners needed to attract enough money from advertising.
Consumption of other media is growing. Mobile, nomad devices. Last year was the year of the mobile, in terms of traffic and revenue (after 3 years of hard work). Two-thirds news, one-third services. Trend due not to quality of news, but more smartphone sales in Switzerland.
Mobile peak times are different from “normal web” peak times. It’s becoming a little hard to classify devices now (iPad: mobile or…?)
Survey: 200 answers to FR and DE speaking readers. 80% return within a day! Very interested in being part of the design of a new design. This was just around the launch of the iPad, and the tablet in question was prehistoric (IREX). Simple, cheap, easy to use, focus on reading.
People are ready to pay for quality content, rich media, easy navigation *(steph-note: I’d put that first — interface)*, quality device.
End of subscription model? Want to be free to choose what they want.
*steph-note: interesting, a lot of this seems to be going against what I thought were the trends now*
E-paper: not attractive *steph-note: could have told you that, it was a horrendous user experience*
BILD is offering a variety of apps for their content, and not one is free. NZZ: pay for e-version and get an iPad.
Conclusion: work with iTunes store, and hope for a direct link to the customer.
- Lift13, Innovation Drivers XXX: Garion Hall [en] (2013)
- Lift11: Alexander Osterwalder, The new business models [en] (2011)
- WordPress 2007: Jeremy Wright, Im in ur blogz grabbin' ur kash! Blog Monetization [en] (2007)
- Lift13, Innovation Drivers XXX: Kate Darling [en] (2013)
- FOWA: The Future of Search (Tony Conrad) [en] (2007)
- Photo Sync: Figuring Out Lightroom Mobile and iCloud Photo Library [en] (2015)
- Content: Paid vs. Free [en] (2010)
- Lift10 Workshop: From virtual to real world value — Collective Intelligence as an alternate source of media power [en] (2010)
- FOWA: How to Turn your App into a Business (Ted Rheingold) [en] (2007)
- BarCamp Lausanne: Wuala (Dominik Grolimund) [en] (2007)