[fr] Rob Levin, fondateur du réseau IRC freenode (plus connu sous son pseudo lilo) est mort des suites d'un accident de la route.
I’ve just received [news of Rob Levin’s death (lilo on freenode)](http://www.chatmag.com/news/091606_rob_levin.html) when logging on after coming back home from a surprise evening I’ll tell you about later, given the circumstances. Needless to say I’m pretty shaken.
I’d never actually met Rob, of course. But I remember many conversations with him on freenode — about nickname issues, about [freenode](http://freenode.net/ “The IRC network which is my main online residence.”) and the underlying concept of community it was built on, about leaving New Orleans before Katrina arrived. He was somebody I always enjoyed chatting with, and I was always amazed at how he would take time for small issues like my nickname problems. He struck me as nice, patient and understanding for the little I knew him.
As [founder of freenode](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Levin), he was of course an important person to me. Freenode is a place which lies at the center of my online social life. But more than that to me, he was also simply a person I chatted with every now and again and really appreciated. I’m going to miss him.
I’m doing something I usually tell people not to do: publish stuff when emotions are fresh. My excuses therefore, if I sound a bit rambling or whatever — but there’s just no way I can just head for bed right now as I was planning to do when I got home. Hopefully writing this here will help me accept what has happened and feel a little less sick.
Bye, lilo. My thoughts are with your family and friends. You will be very much missed.
– (with IRC transcript)
– click on the tags below for more and latest news
- Twitter: We Love Our Partial Conversations [en] (2007)
- From LIFT06 to LIFT08 [en] (2008)
- Be Your Own Best Friend [en] (2011)
- Five Things You Probably Didn't Know About Me [en] (2007)
- End-Of-Travel Musings [en] (2008)
- We Need Structured Portable Social Networks (SPSN) [en] (2007)
- MindMeister: Google Docs-Style Mind Mapping [en] (2007)
- Ressources for Parents and Teachers (ISL Talks on Social Networking) [en] (2008)
- My Twitter Usage Answers [en] (2007)
- A Week Without My Cat [en] (2010)
2 thoughts on “Rob Levin (lilo) of Freenode Just Died [en]”