I’m amazed it took me so long to discover usenet. I had heard about it a lot, of course, but I simply couldn’t figure out how to access it. First, you need a news server. I recommend http://news.cis.dfn.de/ as a free news server. I used my ISP’s previously, but it became really sick a few weeks ago, so I gave up on it.
All you need to do is sign up with the news server, and once you have received the confirmation email, follow the instructions to set up your news account in your newsreader. If you’re using windows, Outlook Express is perfectly acceptable as a newsreader.
Once your account is set up, just choose the newsgroups you want to follow, and start reading and posting!
If you don’t feel like signing up for an account but want to experience usenet a bit, you can use a web-based newsreader like mailgate.
Warning: time-consuming activity.
- A Brief Update [en] (2004)
- Dealing with Spammers [en] (2000)
- Testing Meme Propagation In Blogspace: Add Your Blog! [en] (2004)
- Newsgroups [en] (2001)
- Taking Collaborative Notes at BlogTalk [en] (2004)
- Groan [en] (2001)
- Success: Dragon NaturallySpeaking in Parallels [en] (2007)
- Google Questions [en] (2007)
- Flock, extensions, and coComment [en] (2006)
- Dedicated Server [en] (2004)