[fr] Interview audio de Dan Gillmor par Halley Suitt. Quelques notes.
I’m currently listening to Halley’s interview of Dan Gillmor on IT Conversations. I’m not used to listening to stuff through the internet (the whole podcasting hype hasn’t really caught my interest… yet) — so here are a few notes and comments, mainly for myself.
First of all, I’m always slightly shocked to hear people I know from the Internet actually speaking. When chatting, or reading blogs, I forget that people have accents. So, my first reaction upon hearing Halley speaking was “Gosh! She really has an American accent!”.
After a first part on American politics that went completely over my head, the topic turned to “Journalism and blogging” (already more interesting) and finally, more webby stuff. A few random notes:
- Strive for objectivity in journalism still a valid aim.
- 9-11, elections, tsunami: made blogs visible as a media, rather than “made more people blog” (I’ve finally managed to name the confusion that irritates me so much.)
- Camera phones (and digicams in general) have a highly disruptive potential. Towards more transparency. Harder to hide nasty things.
- Podcasting: most people not trained to produce the kind of audio we enjoy listening to.
- Blogs with small readership (target audience=family and close friends): very important sociologically.
- Internet allows to bring readers closer to source material.
- Probably lots of source material for historians gathering now on the web. Web stuff as potential replacement for the letter, which used to give lots of information on people’s lives and current events. (Biographies, History.)
- Not holding people accountable (in future) about silly things they wrote on their teenage blogs…
- About writing the book online: retaining authorship, while having thousands of “eyes” to give feedback and comments. (And the eyes in question will be those interested by the topic.)
Next one I’m listening to is Joi’s.
- Interview with Serbian Magazine [en] (2008)
- John C. Dvorak and Om Malik: Blogs vs. Journalism [en] (2007)
- WordCamp 2007: Dan Kuykendall, Podcasting and podPress [en] (2007)
- FriendFeed's Missing Feature [en] (2009)
- Getting Things Done: It's Just About Stress [en] (2007)
- Against Threaded Conversations on Blogs [en] (2008)
- A Book on Teenagers and the Internet [en] (2007)
- Early Thoughts on Clubhouse [en] (2021)
- My iBook is Back! [en] (2005)
- Personal Stories [en] (2001)