[fr] A lire de toute urgence pour ceux d'entre nous qui parlent plus d'une langue (même imparfaitement) -- et pour les autres aussi: Life as a Bilingual, blog du Prof. François Grosjean de Neuchâtel.
My friend Corinne shared a link on Facebook the other day. It was a link to an article (I’ve forgotten which one by now, as I’ve pretty much read them all) on a blog titled Life as a Bilingual. It’s written by François Grosjean, professor of psycholinguistics at the University of Neuchâtel (his site is also full of interesting information).
Go and read. Start anywhere. Myths about bilingualism, for example. (My only complaint is the use of the term “bilingualism” to refer to what is actually “multilingualism” — using more than one language.) Or what parents need to know.
More from the blog:
- Becoming Bicultural: Celebrating Thanksgiving
- Intermingling Languages in Children
- Emotions in More Than One Language
- How Cultures Combine and Blend in a Person
- Bilinguals and Accents
- Interacting in Just One Language
- Helen or Hélène? — on importing words from “an other language”
- What Is It Like to Be Bilingual?
- What Are the Effects of Bilingualism?
- Nurturing Bilingualism in Children
Pick one, and start reading. If you’re interested in languages, or if you speak more than one, you’ll probably spend a few hours reading through the blog.
I have to say I was really happy to see that research about using multiple languages seems to confirm many conclusions I arrived at instinctively (check out my Multilingual Page if you’re not familiar with my various talks and rantings about multiple languages online).
Thanks for your sharing your research with us through your blog, François!
- Bilingual Frustrations, Still in 2013 (With Siri and Dragon Dictate) [en] (2013)
- Basic Bilingual [en] (2009)
- Requirements for a Multilingual WordPress Plugin [en] (2006)
- Basic Bilingual 1.0 Plugin for WordPress: Blog in More Than One Language! [en] (2013)
- Life and Trials of a Multilingual Weblog [en] (2004)
- Another Multilingual Talk Proposal (Web 2.0 Expo, Berlin) [en] (2007)
- Google: "Don't Mix Languages on the Same Page" [en] (2008)
- Linguistic Superiority [en] (2001)
- BlogTalk 2008 Proposal — Being Multilingual: Blogging in More Than One Language [en] (2007)
- Basic Bilingual 0.3 for Multilingual Blogging [en] (2007)