Jibot is a topic of discussion as Kevin Marks and others tinker with its various incarnations. We teach it stuff, check to see what it knows. We use it to say things about ourselves and others, but also to play (for example with the function “?cool <username>” implemented by Jens-Christian).
The IRC bot is clearly here a social object. It is an object that generates social interaction. Or maybe more simply, and object that makes us talk about it just by its simple existence. Because jibot is there before us, we have conversations, interact, get to know people that we wouldn’t have if it hadn’t been there. And jibot doesn’t really have to do anything to make that happen; it just has to be.
- IRC: #joiito Channel Revival (Or At Least Reunion) [en] (2013)
- LIFT08: Kevin Warwick, the "Cyborg" [en] (2008)
- FOWA: What is the Future of Web Apps? (Ryan Carson, Om Malik, Michael Arrington) [en] (2007)
- FOWA: Putting Users First (Thomas Vander Wal) [en] (2007)
- About Missing Videos (Open Stage, Friday) and Expectations [en] (2008)
- Prezi: Never Use Powerpoint Again [en] (2009)
- Bad With Faces, Good With Names [en] (2009)
- Reboot9 — Leisa Reichelt: Ambient Intimacy [en] (2007)
- LIFT08: Kevin Marks (Google Open Social: The Social Cloud) [en] (2008)
- Working on my Professional Site [en] (2007)