[fr] Depuis des années, j'utilise une identité "fantaisiste" pour tous mes services Google. C'est mon identité principale (vous voyez de laquelle je parle si on est en contact). J'aimerais passer à prénom.nom comme identité principale (je la possède aussi) mais tous les services Google sont rattachés à la première, et je ne vois pas vraiment comment m'en sortir. Idées bienvenues!
When I created a Gmail address all these years ago, I chose a “funny-cute” name that was easy to remember for most of the people I knew. I was on IRC all day back then, and my nickname was bunny(wabbit_), and people knew I was Swiss.
I didn’t really think my Gmail address would become so central to my online identity, you see.
Of course, I also registered firstname.lastname and redirected it onto my main e-mail address and identity.
As years went by, Google added all sorts of services that got tied onto this identity (not to mention the 2.5Gb of archived e-mails and chats). Google Talk, Google Profiles, and recently, Google Sidewiki and Google Wave.
These last weeks, I’ve been wondering if I shouldn’t “make the switch” and use my more serious “firstname.lastname” e-mail address as my main identity. Actually, to be honest, I’d like to. But there are obstacles — oh, so many.
First, all my contacts are linked to my current account. All my e-mail is stuck in it. My Feedburner and Google Reader settings are linked to it. My blogger blog is. My calendar. Everywhere I use my Google identity for a third-party service, here we go.
And Google does not allow you to link one Google account to another (sure, you can redirect mail, but that doesn’t solve anything).
So, do you see my problem? If you have any bright ideas, I’m listening. I would really like a solution.
- OS 10.6, iCal, gCal, and my iPhone [en] (2010)
- Sync Multiple Google Calendars on iPhone: Finally Figured it Out! [en] (2011)
- Call For Screenshots: Facebook Privacy Settings [en] (2010)
- Events in WordPress [en] (2007)
- Google Calendar pour blogueurs de la région [en] (2006)
- Becoming a Professional Networker: Tags in Address Book OSX Needed! [en] (2008)
- Gmail Storage Space Problem: Account Blocked, Wrong Numbers [en] (2013)
- FOWA: Putting Users First (Thomas Vander Wal) [en] (2007)
- Sometimes We Need Pseudonyms [en] (2012)
- The Tweak to Google Tasks That Makes it Work [en] (2022)