[fr] Notes prises à l'occasion de la conférence Future of Web Apps (FOWA) à Londres.
*Here are my live notes of this [Future of Web Apps (FOWA)](http://www.futureofwebapps.com/) session. They are probably incomplete and may contain mistakes, though I do my best to be accurate. Chances are I’ll be adding links to extra material later on, so don’t hesitate to come back and check. See [Suw’s notes on this talk](http://strange.corante.com/archives/2007/10/03/fowa07b_robert_kalin.php).*
[Etsy](http://etsy.com): soapbox for people who make things to stand up on.
Went to New York, faked college IDs to go and follow classes. Owning his education. Started about six different companies.
100’000 sellers on the site. Slow, regular growth. Only US$. Most of the users are in the English-speaking world.
If you engage people in a different way, you can change the way they relate to stuff.
Online marketplace: notorious tarpit where so many companies have tried to be successful. People go to offline marketplaces also for the people. The social aspect is important: who made what I’m buying?
Make things playful to engage people. Colour blobs you can play with on the screen, to choose things by colour. Time machine.
Userbase 95% women. 1500 people a day are joining at this stage.
*steph-note: I don’t mind being shown around Etsy, and this is quite interesting, but I’d expect something else from a talk titled “The Future of Commerce”. This more “Story of Etsy” or “Etsy Demo”. I think it’s really important that the people making the programmes of conferences are very clear about what the sessions cover.*
Etsy is still very much under the radar.
A brief history of money: going from very concrete (barter, silver coins with a certain weight) to abstract (paper money with number written on it, plastic, electronic — never physical).
- LIft13, Reinventing the Crafts: Caroline Drucker [en] (2013)
- FOWA: The Future of Web Startups (Paul Graham) [en] (2007)
- LeWeb'09: Facebook, Facebook Connect, Identity (Ethan Beard) [en] (2009)
- A Theory About Freelancers in the Internet Industry [en] (2008)
- Competition, Colleagues, or Partners? [en] (2007)
- FOWA: How to Turn your App into a Business (Ted Rheingold) [en] (2007)
- Interview with Serbian Magazine [en] (2008)
- Reboot9 — Alexander Kjerulf: Happiness [en] (2007)
- Working on my Professional Site [en] (2007)
- FOWA: Customer Service is the New Marketing (Lane Becker & Thor Muller) [en] (2007)