[fr] Avez-vous remarqué comme personne ne veut qu'on soit triste? La tristesse est néanmoins une émotion nécessaire, celle qui nous permet d'accepter une perte, d'en faire le deuil, et de pouvoir continuer à avancer à travers et au-delà de la peine.
Have you noticed how nobody wants you to be sad? Tell people around you that you’re sad, and immediately they’ll want to cheer you up.
Sadness is not bad. Sadness is necessary. It is through being sad that we are able to accept our losses and move on. That is what grieving is.
Our friends don’t want us to feel sad, because they don’t want us to suffer. But refusing to be sad and to grieve brings along a lot of suffering — certainly more, in the long run, than the pain of sadness.
Sadness is not depression. Unprocessed grief can lead to depression, though.
Sadness is the feeling of loss.
A person who is experiencing loss needs the courage to feel sad, and in a world which wants to shove sad under the carpet at the first opportunity, that can be far from easy.
What is valued is staying strong in the face of loss, grief, catastrophe. Not collapsing. Not showing how much pain we’re in.
But what we need when we’re sad and in pain, most of the time, is support so we can dare to feel all this. A safe place to be heard, recognised, and not judged. Love and acceptance that does not desperately want to save us from our emotions, but on the contrary, regard them as part of ourselves and our journey through life.
To grieve and to move on from all the various losses in our lives, all the nevermores, we need to be able to be sad. It is a good thing.
- Tounsi: Hope Is Easier Than Grief [en] (2017)
- Tears Do Heal — But Slowly [en] (2011)
- On Grief and Losing Bagha [en] (2010)
- The Bittersweet Freedom of Catlessness [en] (2011)
- Coming Out as Single and Childless [en] (2015)
- Music and Sadness [en] (2016)
- Sorting Through Grief [en] (2011)
- What Made Bagha Such a Special Cat For Me [en] (2011)
- Bagha: One Year, Coming Up [en] (2011)
- Isolation, Shame, and Guilt. And Grief. [en] (2016)