[fr] On ne peut pas être ami avec tout le monde, ne serait-ce que pour des questions d'agenda. Je crois que j'ai accepté cette limite, et aussi que l'amitié va et vient la plupart du temps, et que les gens invités dans ma vie ne resteront pas forcément pour toujours.
I like people. I meet a lot of them. I connect easily and make friends. I have lots of people in my life, and not just “business contacts” kept at arm’s length.
At some point these last months, I started reflecting on the fact that I want to count as friends more people than I can cope with, from a purely “calendar” point of view. It’s very frustrating.
Four years ago I wrote a post titled “Too Many People“. I’m not at this level of crisis, at all, though the seeds of this year’s realization were undoubtedly sown sometime then.
I think I’ve accepted that people will drift in and out of my life. I’ve accepted that I cannot pursue every friendship worth pursuing, and that when friends drift out of my life, it is not just my responsibility.
You see, for some reason, I tend to look at things as if I was in charge of maintaining the relationship. But there are always two of us, and when there has been no contact in a year, it is also because the other person has not made a move either.
I’m not thinking of any of my friendships in particular, here. It’s more that I think I’ve accepted something about the somewhat transient nature of friendships and relationships, and the practical limits which mean one can’t be friends with everyone one wants to, and feel more at peace with it.
- Defriending, Keeping Connections Sustainable and Maybe Superficial [en] (2010)
- What Made Bagha Such a Special Cat For Me [en] (2011)
- How Was 2012 So Far? [en] (2012)
- Too Many People [en] (2007)
- Lift12, Technology vs. People: Gordan Savicic, Digital 2.0 Suicide [en] (2012)
- We Need Structured Portable Social Networks (SPSN) [en] (2007)
- Ethics and Privacy in the Digital Age [en] (2007)
- Just do it [en] (2010)
- Anil Dash Writes About The Web We Lost [en] (2012)
- Headache: Picking a Date for an Event [en] (2007)