It pains me to say it, but much as I love them, they still don’t quite get the difference between tags and categories. Yes, WordPress.com now makes a difference between tags and categories (and have been doing so for quite some time), but they are still missing part of the equation.
- Categories are big pre-defined drawers to sort your posts in. They’re local.
- Tags are labels you stick on posts after you have written them. There are tons of them and they’re messy and they’re global.
Logically, links on tags should point to the general WordPress.com tagspace (they do) — and links on categories should point to the local category pages of that particular blog. Only they don’t always.
The “Categories” widget works the way it should. But the rest is a mess. Examples.
- Look at the Coworking Léman site, which uses the Mistylook theme that I personally love. This article‘s category links to the general WordPress.com tagspace (wrong), whereas this one‘s category links to the local category page (right).
- The La Muse site, which uses Ocean Mist, makes article categories link to the general tagspace (wrong) but at the bottom of the page, lists categories with the correct links to category pages.
I could find more.
In general, the problem seems to be that article category links are made to link to the tagspace just as tags do. I mean, what’s the point of having a difference between tags and categories (an important one, if you ask me) if you make them behave the same way in the templates? This is a major problem for me. I hope Automattic are listening and will do something about it. (I contacted support but was told, basically, that it was a feature.)
So, please, Automattic: make the links on category names link to local category pages, and the links on tag names take us to the global tagspace.
- Plugin Idea: Weighted Tags by Category [en] (2005)
- The Big 2009 Category Revolution [en] (2009)
- Tags and Categories are not the Same! [en] (2006)
- Tag-Related Wishlist [en] (2007)
- Angst: My Categories are Still a Mess [en] (2008)
- My Categories are a Mess [en] (2006)
- Batch Categories 0.9 [en] (2004)
- Four Lazy WordPress Plugin Desires [en] (2010)
- Tags and Categories, Oh My! [en] (2007)
- Technorati Tagified [en] (2005)