[fr] Somewhere, c'est bien mieux que LinkedIn.
It’s no secret that I’m not a fan of LinkedIn. Sure, it’s a good place to keep your resumé up-to-date (paper? are you kidding?) and display your network (though Facebook and Twitter do that very well too).
I know some people get a lot out of LinkedIn, but it never clicked for me. I find it dry and boring.
I bumped into Somewhere yesterday, through Stowe‘s article on GigaOm: Somewhere is the LinkedIn for the new way of work. I’d say Somewhere is the beautiful bastard child of LinkedIn, Pinterest, and a blog.
It’s very visual. Basically you share information about your work life/profile in 250 character snippets accompanied by a photo. Your profile looks like a collection of cards (here is my profile). You can imagine what a challenge this is for me. I usually don’t even illustrate blog articles, and my work in general isn’t very visible. Most of the time it took me to add my first two “sparks” (that’s what the cards are called) was figuring out which photo to use and digging it out.
But the principle is great. And I think it’ll be of particular interest to freelancers. Right?
You should try it out. I have an invite code (J0rMyZH2) but it seems to not work (let me know if it does). Otherwise you can head over to Swiss Miss who has a working signup link in her article.
Now I just need to figure out how to change that frowny profile photo I initially picked.
- LinkedIn Appreciation [en] (2013)
- A Few Words on the New Facebook Pages [en] (2009)
- Please Make Holes in My Buckets! [en] (2007)
- Early Thoughts on Clubhouse [en] (2021)
- Ethics and Privacy in the Digital Age [en] (2007)
- Back to Blogging Challenge Wrap-Up [en] (2012)
- Two Successes! WPD2 and WoWiPAD1 [en] (2008)
- Idea: Working as a Freelance Researcher [en] (2010)
- German Article in Migros Magazin [en] (2005)
- A Theory About Freelancers in the Internet Industry [en] (2008)