It’s been a long time without writing, amongst other things because of surgery on my right wrist a few months ago. I’m doing good now. And a few pieces of my life puzzle seem to be falling into place.
Here we go, in no particular order (well, maybe a bit).
- Doing nothing whilst recovering from surgery or illness is not doing nothing, it is recovering – taking care of myself.
- If a key component to procrastination is anxiety, then reducing my anxiety will help me procrastinate less.
- Even though my procrastination rarely gets me into very deep trouble, it generates a lot of stress, and I am now more than fed up with spending whole days feeling awful before I actually manage to snap out of it and act.
- As with many things, the solution is not “understanding” but “doing differently”.
- Two things I can do to reduce my anxiety around “doing stuff”: create habits and plan ahead.
- “Self-discipline” doesn’t have to be something we’re capable or not capable of doing. It can be a decision, a choice. “I am going to do this thing today because I decided to do it, to this end.”
- Creating daily to-do lists with only the things I can guarantee I will do on that given day, rather than what I want to do or feel I should do avoids setting me up for failure and sets a virtuous circle in motion. Even if there is just one thing on my list.
- Sleeping is something we do to feel good the next day. So going to bed when tired doesn’t have to be “stealing from today”, but “investing in tomorrow”.
- Me first, then my cats, then other people (family and close friends first).
- Even if you leave a big mark on the world, you still die and you’re still gone.
- Fear of death? The ultimate FOMO.
- Podcasts I’m Listening To [en] (2015)
- After a Day Back at Work [en] (2008)
- My Journey Out of Procrastination: Five Principles [en] (2009)
- My Journey Out of Procrastination: Getting Thrown Off and Getting Unstuck [en] (2010)
- Three Good Things [en] (2013)
- I Need to Blog! [en] (2009)
- Tips For the Stressed and Anxious [en] (2010)
- My Journey Out of Procrastination: Doing Things Now [en] (2010)
- Getting Daily Business Out of the Way [en] (2010)
- Sleeping in India and Putting My Brain Straight [en] (2015)
Also published on Medium.