[fr] Avoir des chats, c'est aussi: des interactions sociales avec voisinage, amis, et connaissances; des pauses jeu, câlins, sorties; un encouragement à prendre soin de moi, en prenant soin d'eux; des balades dans le voisinage, pour les accompagner ou les trouver; un espace coworking muni de chats!
You might remember, when I was grieving Bagha, that I tried to sort through what pain was associated with not having a cat anymore, and what was of the loss of one particular cat I had loved, Bagha.
With my new cats, I am remembering there is a bunch of nice things about having cats (aside from them making your travels slightly more complicated) — whoever they are.
- They help me connect to people socially. There are people in the neighbourhood I had pretty much not spoken to since Bagha’s death, and that I have spoken to again during these last weeks, because pretty much all we can easily socially connect on is cats. I find myself wanting to invite people over more (“come and see the cats” is a great pretext and easier than “I’d enjoy spending time with you” — I probably need to work on that, though ;-))
- They encourage me to take downtime. Whether it’s watching them in the garden, playing with them, or petting sessions, I’ve been “stopping” more.
- I have to care for them on a daily basis, and I’ve found that in a strange way, taking care of something/someone else encourages me to take care of myself too.
- I walk around my neighbourhood, either to accompany them, or to look for them 🙂
- I again manage a coworking space featuring kitty company, entertainment, and relaxation!
- Lift09 Workshop: Where will you work tomorrow? (Pierre Belcari) [en] (2009)
- Double Life [en] (2001)
- Second day offline [en] (2008)
- Coworking Musings — Why is More Better? [en] (2012)
- What Made Bagha Such a Special Cat For Me [en] (2011)
- End of Orange [en] (2000)
- LeWeb'09: Facebook, Facebook Connect, Identity (Ethan Beard) [en] (2009)
- Different Kinds of Downtime [en] (2011)
- Missing Kitty [en] (2004)
- Lift12, People vs. Technology: Stefana Broadbent [en] (2012)