[fr] Je crois que je fais beaucoup de choses :-)
Anyway. There are times, like now, where I pause and ask myself if I’m not doing too much. I’m not really asking you — only I can answer that question — so consider this a chance to peek in while I wonder out loud.
I knew I would have two very busy months in May-June, and I’m OK with that (the price I’m willing to pay for a really exciting gig that came through at the last minute).
But I realized this week-end that it’s been a long time since I’ve had a few days to myself at home. I’ve been running for way more than these last two months, and I don’t like running. I know it’s good to be busy for a freelancer, but there are different kinds of busy, and I can tell you there there is some bad busy in my busy.
(The reason I had a few days to myself at home is that I fell ill just before heading off to a 4-day judo training camp. I couldn’t go. I spent two days being “reasonably ill”, and the last two days I’ve been feeling much better and enjoying my unexpected free time.)
So, is this too much? Look at me wonder out loud. Here are my big, ongoing areas of activity — professional and less professional.
- a “social media and blogger relations” gig with Solar Impulse (trip to Paris end of the month)
- co-directing a course on social media and online communities (exam time: nowish)
- editor for the ebookers.ch travel blog in French (and also contributor)
- I manage a coworking space, eclau
- my freelance activity is not limited to the four things mentioned above (not included: talks, short-term consulting and training, coaching sessions on WordPress…)
- I’ve been asked to write a book (and am going to)
- I do judo and am preparing an exam for in two weeks (not my exam, I did it last November: partner for a friend of mine who is doing hers)
- I sing with Café-Café, though I’ve missed more rehearsals than I’ve attended over the past year
- I go sailing (though I’ve had to sacrifice this spring’s regattas to judo training, and last year’s to singing)
- I have a bunch of “light” hobbies like photography, reading, tending my plants (got orchids now!), going to the chalet, rollerblading…
- Oh, I have a blog… you’re reading it
- I also have a social life (I actually do) which includes family and close friends in other countries (and even other continents)
- …not to mention that I’ve decided I needed to take proper holidays, which I’m doing (but that’s time off away from home).
I think that pretty much sums it up. I’m not sure how I manage — but I do!
- Coworking Musings — Why is More Better? [en] (2012)
- A Few Notes on 2014 [en] (2015)
- Happy to See You, 2011 [en] (2011)
- Coworking: Fixed Desks or Hot-Desking? [en] (2012)
- Different Kinds of Downtime [en] (2011)
- Radio Silence, Going to be Busy [en] (2011)
- Cockerel, Anybody? [en] (2012)
- There is Work and Work [en] (2009)
- Lift09 Workshop: Where will you work tomorrow? (Pierre Belcari) [en] (2009)
- A Year of Chalet Mini-Holidays [en] (2009)