Shinde and I took a rickshaw across town today, and as soon as I was in the streets of Pune, I was gripped by this now-familiar feeling of elation I get when being on the road in India. I get it on the ride from Mumbai to Pune — despite the stink of the slums we drive through, I can’t stop smiling and want to jump up and down in my seat.
What I love here is the chaos, and nowhere is it more present than in the streets and traffic. Vehicles, roadside shops, painted signs all over the place. It’s ugly, but it has some kind of rickety beauty in my eyes.
Hard to say if it’s just because it represents a lot of what India is to me, and I have a bond to this place because I lived here, or if there is also a more personal dimension in play: being a pretty controlled (controlling, ouch!) and organized person, maybe I find some fundamental excitement in this seemingly disorderly sprawling mass of life.
In the meantime, keep an eye on my “India snapshots” album (photos I’m taking on the road with my iPhone and instagram) and on the growing collection of Pune photos taken with my proper camera (which I’m still learning to use, so forgive some technical clumsiness).
- Hello From Kolkata [en] (2015)
- Flickr: Open Up Tagging Your Photos to the Community, Please [en] (2007)
- Upgrade, Shmupgrade [en] (2007)
- Flickr Meetup in Bern [en] (2005)
- Taking Photos at Supernova [en] (2007)
- UI Design Makes You Happy! [en] (2002)
- Getting Your iCloud Photostream to Play Nice With Lightroom [en] (2012)
- Indian Stuff Properly Online [en] (2011)
- Tag me! [en] (2005)
- LIFT'06 Photographs [en] (2006)