[fr] Une conférence que je viens de donner à Coimbra. Quelques conseils (de survie ;-)) pour indépendants.
I just gave a talk this morning on some advice on being a freelancer (dearly learned along the 4 years of my solo career), at the SWITCH conference here in Coimbra. Here’s the presentation:
This presentation is really aimed at people who are already working freelance, and are doing so as a result of turning a passion into a job. “How to become a freelancer” is a completely different talk (which I might give some day!)
Also, there was a misunderstanding about what I mean when I say “be expensive”. I mean “ask for what you’re worth” — no way do I mean “overcharge”. Most people who are freelancers by passion are a bit like hippies when it comes to money, and most people undercharge and feel they are being horrendously expensive when they ask for the right price.
This talk is not either advice for people who want to become freelancers out of nothing. Start out with a passion, something you’re good at. Maybe you might be able to turn it into a job. Only then will this advice come in handy.
If you’re interested in seeing more on this topic, you should check out the videos of the talks given at Going Solo, a conference on freelancing I organized in 2008. I also have a series of posts about procrastination that might come in handy to some (but don’t read them now, do it tomorrow ;-)).
*Here’s a crappy video of the talk (SWITCH will provide a better one) which I shot so I could make it available quicker ;-)*
- Workshop About Coworking at Lift09 [en] (2009)
- Coworking Musings — Why is More Better? [en] (2012)
- There is Work and Work [en] (2009)
- So, What's Going Solo About? [en] (2008)
- Coworking: Fixed Desks or Hot-Desking? [en] (2012)
- LIFT08: My Going Solo Open Stage Speech [en] (2008)
- SWITCH Conference, Coimbra: José Fontainhas [en] (2010)
- Lift09 Workshop: Where will you work tomorrow? (Pierre Belcari) [en] (2009)
- Learning to Have an Office [en] (2008)
- Announcing Going Solo [en] (2007)