Here are my running notes of the Lift conference in Geneva. This is Mercedes Bunz’s Reinvent Capitalism, part of the Old New Media session. May contain errors, omissions, things that aren’t quite right, etc. I do my best but I’m just a human live-blogging machine.
Found other good posts about this session? Link to them in the comments.
What’s going on? Algorithms analyzing text, but also writing it. Algorithms can now search online for information and facts and present them in formal journalistic style. *steph-note: did I get that right? I have trouble following.*
Example, Guardian Zeitgeist — chooses articles by itself.
*steph-note: total fail on note-taking here, combination of reading/audio quality/voice pitch/my deafness*
Public: category that is always changing. Communications used to be private, but as they move online, they become increasingly public and available for use.
Michel Foucault, structure of power (in The History of Sexuality).
Need to stop pushing society into a fear of society. Digitization is new business.
- Lift10 Post-Privacy: Christian Heller [en] (2010)
- Lift10 Politics: Greenpeace social media strategy and on-line campaigns (Claudia Sommer) [en] (2010)
- Lift11: Kevin Slavin, Those algorithms that govern our lives [en] (2011)
- Lift10 Online Communities: YouTube’s Unfolding History (Jean Burgess) [en] (2010)
- Lift10 Online Communities: The Revolution is Most Definitely Mobilized – Mobiles in Democratic Participation. Debunking Hype and Assessing Reality (Katrin Verclas) [en] (2010)
- Lift10 Redefinition of Privacy: Olivier Glassey [en] (2010)
- Lift10 Online Communities: The Transition from Broadcast to Multiplatform for a public service broadcaster: getting attention and measuring success (Alice Taylor) [en] (2010)
- More Friction [en] (2017)
- Lift10: OhmyNews, the story and future of citizen journalism (Yeon-ho Oh) [en] (2010)
- Somesso – Thomas Power: Shedding light on social
networking for your business [en] (2008)
One thought on “Lift10, The Old New Media: Reinvent Capitalism (Mercedes Bunz) [en]”
Here you find the text of MrsBunz. http://liftconference.com/files/mbunz_algorithms.pdf
Thanks for the live blogging!