I’m giving a workshop on Wednesday to a group of teachers on Facebook privacy settings. Of course, Facebook changed their privacy settings in December, so I’m having to scramble to get up to speed before giving the workshop. This is why I’m asking for your help.
I was pointed to an article about the new settings, but I’m sure there are other good ones out there: 10 New Privacy Settings Every Facebook User Should Know — please leave links to articles you found useful in the comments.
The main thing I’d like to as your help for is that I’d like a little collection of examples of privacy settings — mainly to help me understand what settings people are using, and possibly as examples to show at the workshop. I will anonymise any identifying information like e-mail addresses etc which might appear in the screenshots, no fear! Here are links to the various pages I’d love to receive screenshots of, if you have a few minutes to indulge me (e-mail firstname dot lastname at gmail — you know what my name is, don’t you?):
- profile information privacy settings
- “public profile preview” (“preview my profile” button top right on the profile/contact privacy settings page)
- photo album privacy
- contact information privacy settings (I’ll scrub out e-mail addresses if ever I do anything with your screenshot)
- what your friends can share about you
- search results privacy settings
Don’t feel like you have to send me screenshots of all of these if you think it’s a lot — anything more than nothing is great for me. If you want to explain why you use certain settings, I’d love to hear about it too (in the comments or by e-mail).
A huge thanks to those of you who’ll take a few minutes to provide me with material!
- Facebook Privacy Settings: First Results [en] (2010)
- Google Shared Stuff: First Impressions [en] (2007)
- Ethics and Privacy in the Digital Age [en] (2007)
- Google Identity Dilemma [en] (2009)
- Google Questions [en] (2007)
- Google Buzz Privacy Issue: How to Hide People You're Following on Your Profile [en] (2010)
- Somewhere: Better Than LinkedIn [en] (2014)
- Please Make Holes in My Buckets! [en] (2007)
- Becoming a Professional Networker: Tags in Address Book OSX Needed! [en] (2008)
- Ressources for Parents and Teachers (ISL Talks on Social Networking) [en] (2008)