François-Xavier Tanguy — A world full of Dreams: Phnom Penh-Paris on the Dream Road by motorbike
In 2005, goes to Lhasa. His life was good but something was missing. Found a small motorbike in a shop, 500$ — with his friends, they decided it would be cool to buy the motorbike and ride it back to France. But it was not possible: good job, good money, good life in Paris did not permit it.
One day, sends an e-mail to his friends: let’s do it! Four to start with, but finally two of them were ready to carry it out: François-Xavier and Arnaud Dubois. They didn’t know how, though. Had already backpacked, but Arnaud didn’t want to backpack again. Brainstorm + champagne => if this is their dream, why not take interest in dreams all over the world?
Problems: were neither bikers nor journalists, and didn’t have contacts. They just really wanted to do it.
First target: reach out to children about their dreams and projects. Do children all over the world have the same dreams?
Second target: try to understand the dreams and projects of adults. How did they make them come true, what were the keys to success.
In 2007, started their trip from Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thaïland, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ouzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Turkey, Europe. 7 months with 300 interviews. 25’000 km.
- what do you want to do when you grow up?
- what is your dream?
- what is your dream for your country?
- if I were a magician, what would you like?
20 countries, many different answers. In Cambodia, for example, many children want to become doctors and fight poverty. In Ouzbekistan, they want to find water. In Afghanistan or Nepal, they want to live in peace. Boy in Nepal (Saroj) “I want to become the Prime Minister of Nepal.”
Adults: many examples too. People who aren’t afraid to fail or be successful.
Fulfilled their dream (the bike journey) and learnt a lot about the dreams of others. Created a social network around people’s dreams. Entrepreneurs. Their dream now: help people achieve their dreams and projects using new technologies. Dreamshake.
- TEDx Geneva: Xavier Rosset — 300 days alone on an island [en] (2009)
- Did Tara Go to Katmandu? [en] (2000)
- The Freelancer and The Open-Ended Projects [en] (2010)
- Lift11: Marcel Kampman, Reinventing schools — project Dream School [en] (2011)
- TEDx Geneva: Claude Marshall — Sports: Giving refugee youth their lost childhood [en] (2009)
- Urges [en] (2012)
- Coming Out as Single and Childless [en] (2015)
- Lift09 Workshop: Where will you work tomorrow? (Pierre Belcari) [en] (2009)
- TEDx Geneva: François Bugnion, Robert Klapisch, Jan-Mathieu Donnier, Frederic Kaplan [en] (2009)
- TEDx Geneva: Guillaume Massard, Michael Doser, Bruno Giussani, Jill Bolte Taylor [en] (2009)