[fr] Après deux semaines de planning hebdomadaire, je vois que j'ai été un peu trop ambitieuse cette semaine. Ça va s'arranger!
So here I am, at the end of my second “planned” week. As I suspected, I was a little ambitious this time around. Here’s what I’ve learned:
- writing a blog post for a client takes up the better part of half a day; sometimes it’s way less, but I mustn’t count on it
- sorting through 300+ photos also takes up the better part of half a day
- I need to remember that days with judo are short, as I need to leave the office around 5pm
As I planned “too much”, I ended up giving priority to client work and things others were expecting from me over my personal projects. It sucks, but it’s kind of normal. If I have too much stuff to do “for others” in a week, it means that
- either I have been saying “yes” too easily
- or I have not done enough of it over the previous weeks (lack of foresight).
Learning to say “no” more (when necessary) is an ongoing process, and I’m pretty proud at how far I’ve come. It is just not a viable option to say yes to everyone and everything, or you disappear in the process. (Merlin’s time and attention talk, which I’ve started watching, touches upon this.)
As for foresight, it requires longer term planning. Having a view of one’s month, or of the two weeks to come. However, I’m not there yet. It’s no use trying to plan further ahead until I’m at least a brown belt in weekly planning — just as it would have made little sense for me to try and plan my weeks when I was still struggling with the idea of planning my days somewhat. It’s an incremental process, step-by-step.
The fact that I’m not planning beyond the week right now also allows me to relax a bit about the stuff I haven’t got done this week. It’s not like I already have a plan for next week and it’s going to be all disrupted by what I didn’t do this week. I’m going to put the “undone” things back in my master lists, and reevaluate if I’m doing them next week or not.
- More Thoughts on Weekly Planning [en] (2009)
- Two Weeks With (Almost) No Planning [en] (2009)
- Weekly Planning, First Attempt [en] (2009)
- Weekly Planning: Weekly Routine? [en] (2010)
- Weekly Planning: Third Week (Learning Steps) [en] (2009)
- Weekly Planning After the Winter Break [en] (2010)
- Income Map Template [en] (2009)
- Monthly/Weekly Calendar Improved [en] (2006)
- My Journey Out of Procrastination: Getting Thrown Off and Getting Unstuck [en] (2010)
- Finding a Balance in Office Work: Long-Term Projects [en] (2009)