From James Govenor on Twitter: Network value is how many opportunities people create for you when you’re not there.
Why build communities: tons of reasons.
An online community is a group of people joined by a common interest.
What motivates people?
- they can express themselves
- they might be after support
- the culture of the organisation
To build a community, you need:
Community manager: important to get the personality right. He/she must act as the host.
Technology for community is important, but social infrastructure is more important.
- My Interest in Organisations and how Social Media Fits in [en] (2013)
- Lara Srivastava [en] (2007)
- Dannie Jost — Blogging is not about blogging [en] (2007)
- Lift11: Tiffany St James, How to encourage involvement in online communities [en] (2011)
- Reboot9 — Lee Bryant: Human Need (Kozarac) [en] (2007)
- Lift13, The Agile Enterprise: Abhijit Bhaduri [en] (2013)
- Stowe Boyd: Building Social Applications [en] (2007)
- Cats Online: Quintus and Tounsi [en] (2012)
- Lift10 Online Communities: YouTube’s Unfolding History (Jean Burgess) [en] (2010)
- Here Comes Everybody: Organisations and Transaction Costs [en] (2013)