Here is an interesting little essay on linguistic superiority.
I’ve always been interested in languages, and the relationship between different languages (when you’ve been soaking in two languages since you were a kid, I think you simple can’t avoid that kind of questioning – at least I couldn’t).
This essay reminds me of some of the points discussed in my linguistic classes about “spoken” French. We all have this “idea” that the spoken language is full of mistakes, that the correct way of saying things is the way we write them, that orality is a degeneracy or writing (when in fact, it would be more correct to view the written form of the language as a “fixation” of the living language, at some point). Maybe I’ll write something on the topic some day.
- Translation [en] (2001)
- Teenagers and Spelling [en] (2007)
- Advice for a Translating Tool [en] (2007)
- Bunny's Language Linker: New WordPress Plugin [en] (2007)
- Google: "Don't Mix Languages on the Same Page" [en] (2008)
- Most People Are Multilingual [en] (2007)
- Call to WordPress Plugin Developers [en] (2005)
- Browser Language Detection and Redirection [en] (2007)
- Multilingual Dragon [en] (2002)
- Polyglots and other Multilinguals, Rejoice [en] (2011)